The attention of The West African Examinations Council (WAEC) has been drawn to false information circulating on social media about the purported leakage of Wassce 2019 Examination Papers of the ongoing West African Senior School Certificate Examination (WASSCE) for School Candidates, 2019.
Alleged Leakage of Wassce 2019 Examination Papers
The Council wishes to state as follows:
- That there has been no leakage of examination papers for the WASSCE for School Candidates, 2019.
- That the Council in its monitoring of the examination has received information regarding examination malpractice in examination halls and planned cheating patterns at some of the centres as a result of poor supervision and invigilation.
- That in some cases, pre-arranged cheating has been reported by insiders with school authorities creating hideouts where teachers knowledgeable in the subject area wait for the question paper packets to be opened. Snapshots of these questions are taken, solved and answers sent to candidates in the examination hall.
- Smuggling of mobile phones to the examination hall by candidates awaiting solutions as stated in point 3 above.
- Resurgence of the operation of rogue websites. These website operators, with the connivance of some invigilators and supervisors, receive snapshots of the question papers from the centres after the question paper packets are opened. They then solve the questions and post the answers on their websites and the WhatsApp groups of candidates who have paid for their services.
To address these challenges, the Council has put in place the following measures:
- Increased the inspection and monitoring of the examination at the various centres;
- Withdrawn and/or annulled the appointment of some supervisors and invigilators pending further sanctions;
- Made a formal complaint to the Cyber Crime Unit of the CID on the operations of the rogue websites;
- A number of candidates suspected to have been involved in examination malpractice are being investigated.
As a further step, the Council would scrutinise all scripts of schools where cheating has been reported.
It must be noted that a great number of candidates have conducted themselves very well and due diligence would be followed to ensure fairness to all.
The Council urges all stakeholders including members of the public to collaborate with it to safeguard the integrity of the examinations and certificates awarded.
The West African Examinations Council wishes to inform its stakeholders that it is yet to release the results of the WASSCE for School Candidates, 2019.
Members of the public are urged to disregard rumours circulating in the media that the results have been released. The Council will duly issue a statement announcing the release of the results after all post-examination processes have been completed.
We Have Not Withheld Wassce Results – Waec
We have not withheld WASSCE results – WAEC, Waec withheld WASSCE results: The West African Examination Council (WAEC) has trashed out reports that it has withheld the entire results of some 26,434 candidates pending the conclusion of investigations into various cases of examination malpractice detected during and after the examination.
2019 Wassce Results yet to Be Released for School Candidates
Earlier, it was reported in the media that the examination body in a statement withheld the entire results of some 26,434 candidates pending the conclusion of investigations into various cases of examination malpractice.
However, in a phone interview with the Head of Public Affairs for the Head of National Office, Mrs. Agnes Teye-Cudjoe, she said the examination body has not withheld any results.
She also made it known that the results of the 2019 the West African Senior School Certificate Examination has not been released as reported.
AGNES TEYE-CUDJOE (MRS.)
HEAD, PUBLIC AFFAIRS
FOR: HEAD OF NATIONAL OFFICE