The METI Government of Japan Internship Program is seeking 200 young nationals from developing countries for 3 months internship in Japan.
Government of Japan Internships
The Internship involves:
- Formulating an internship plan (roles/goals, etc. of an intern) in consultation with the Internship manager
- Participating in group training, follow-up training, and wrap up presentation
- Undertaking the internship full-time during the internship period(international students living in Japan must ensure this is balanced with academic work)
- Undertaking management of their own safety and health as thoroughly as possible, including gathering emergency information for Japan, as well as communication, reporting, and consultation with the Program Office and the host company
- Submitting a variety of documents, notifications, reports, evaluation reports, etc. before coming to Japan, as well as during and after the internship period
- Appropriate Behavior demonstrating awareness as a beneficiary of public funds received from the Japanese government
Government of Japan Internships Eligibility
Young foreign nationals of developing countries
Applicants satisfying all the following requirements are eligible for the Japan Internship Program:
- Agreeing with the spirit of this program, and through the internship promoting internationalization of Japanese companies, developing the overseas business of Japanese companies, and working together to construct networks with overseas universities etc.
- Holding citizenship of an eligible country or region.
- Proficiency in Japanese language (JLPT level N3 or higher) or proficiency in English.
- As a rule, applicants should be at least 20 years of age and no older than 40 as at June 14, 2019.
- Applicants must able to submit a school or university enrolment or graduation certificate as well as a letter of recommendation from an affiliated university or institution etc.
- Able to undertake both the internship and Pre-Training full-time at the host company. (International students must also able to balance these against their studies)
- Other requirements meeting any individual conditions stipulated by the host company.
- Applicant must not have participated in this Program in 2018.
Value of Internship
- Allowance: 4,000 yen per day for living expenses. This amount is payable per day for the entire duration of the internship (except for international students living in Japan, who will be paid for active days only)
- Round-trip economy class air ticket, travel insurance (international students in Japan not eligible)
- Internship insurance
- Transportation and accommodation expenses including training program fee when participating in training
To be taken at (country): Japan. Private-sector companies, industry associations, and non-profit corporations in Japan. Host companies are determined after matching by the Program Office and subsequent approval by the Screening Committee.
Duration of Program:
International students in Japan:
A: Entering Japan on Sun, September 1 & departing on Tue, November 12
B: Entering Japan on Mon, September 9 & departing on Tue, November 19
C: Entering Japan on Tue, September 17 & departing on Tue, November 26
D: Entering Japan on Mon, September 30 & departing on Tue, December 10
E: Entering Japan on Mon, October 7 & departing on Tue, December 17
*The Program Office will determine whether participants will follow schedule C, D or E.
How to Apply for Government of Japan Internships
- Registration is accepted online via the registration form on the Program Website.
- Selection is conducted through document screening, primary interview (native language/English/Japanese), and secondary interview (Japanese/English).
- As part of the selection process, various certificates (university qualifications, language skills, etc.), letters of recommendation, photographs, documents required for the visa, etc. are to be submitted individually.
Important Notes: The Japan Internship Program offers work experience, not actual employment. It aims to provide interns with workplace skills and know-how. Please note it is not a substitute for casual or part-time employment etc.
For more information, visit the Government of Japan Internships.
Application Deadline: 14th June 2019